Thursday, July 26, 2012

Reason to Smile Thank You



  Do you ever see a cool color combination in a catalog or in a store or even on someone's clothes at church and then you want to try to make a card with it??  Please tell me I'm not the only one!  I was browsing through our latest Company Store catalog (we seem to get one a week!) and I saw this cool bedspread and even though it's totally not my style the colors seemed great together.  I had to try to make a card with it. Here's the bedspread:


Novella Wrinkle-Free Sateen Comforter Cover/Duvet Cover and Sham
Novella Wrinkle Free Duvet from The Company Store
 This photo is a little blurry but I think you can see the colors well enough.  I interpreted them in Stampin' Up! language...please tell me I'm not the only one who calls all colors by their Stampin' Up! equivalent.  It's not lime green it's Lucky Limeade in Stampin' Up! language or it's not red it's Real Red!  Anyway, I thought these looked like Soft Suede, Cajun Craze and the new Summer Starfruit.

  Here's the card I came up with using these colors:

  I think the secret to this color combination is to use restraint with the Summer Starfruit and Cajun Craze.  I tried a bunch of different combinations for the main flower panel and this is what worked for me!

  The base is Soft Suede with the flower stamped in Soft Suede (not just brown!).  I stamped some more Soft Suede flowers onto a strip of First Edition Specialty DSP.

  For the main flower I found I really had to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig to get my 2 step stamping to line up just right.  I stamped the first flower/stem with Summer Starfruit and then used Soft Suede for the outline part.  That panel is adhered to a panel of Cajun Craze. 

  I added a new Naturals Designer button which work wonderfully on nature inspired or masculine cards.  I threaded a few lengths of linen thread through the button holes and a piece of Summer Starfruit Stitched ribbon before I tied the final knot.  The sentiment from Petite Pairs and some dimensionals finish off the focal panel.
 
  Remember that the Reason to Smile stamp set is only available until the end of July!  It's only $5 with a $50 purchase (before tax/shipping).  If you'd like to place an online order head over to my Stampin' Up! Online Store to get started!

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Reason to Smile, Petite Pairs

Ink: Soft Suede, Summer Starfruit

Paper: Soft Suede, Cajun Craze, Whisper White, First Ed. Specialty DSP

Accessories: Naturals button, linen thread, dimensionals, Summer Starfruit stitched ribbon


2 comments:

  1. What a fun color combo, Amanda. You nailed that inspiration photo with your stamps, your colors, and your beautiful layout. Hope you are doing well! Thanks for sharing - this is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great color combo. It's fun to see where you got the inspiration too. And yes, I think in SU colors too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!