Friday, February 28, 2014

Bright Hexagon Thank You - Fab Friday 36

And we're back for another round of Fab Friday!  We have a great color challenge this time.  These are vibrant colors to work with and if you have the Kaleidoscope DSP from the Occasion catalog then you're already half way there to a card because it is the same collection of colors as our challenge.

  Our palette:



  I don't have the Kaleidoscope DSP (I know, I know but I had already bought most of the Occasions catalog and I had to cut it off somewhere!) so I did struggle a bit to get the right balance of colors and white space.  I've mentioned "color bullies" before and I think the bright colors of Bermuda Bay, Crushed Curry and Strawberry Slush can be color bullies and can make it hard to work with them.  I think my final try (after several failed attempts!) is a good balance.


  After birthday cards I use thank you cards the most so I went with a really simple greeting from the Lots of Thanks set.

  I also broke out the Hexagon Hive thinlet die that I had gotten months ago and it hadn't been opened yet.  The trick I've learned for this die to get the pieces popped out easily is to use a layer of waxed paper on top of the cardstock before placing the die on top.  The pieces come right out without any effort at all!  So your sandwich from the bottom up would be platform, cutting plate, cardstock, waxed paper, thin let die, cutting plate.

  I just cut a bunch of the hexagons in the challenge colors and layered them down the side on top of a Whisper White layer embossed with the Honeycomb embossing folder.  The tag is punched with the new Scallop Tag Topper punch.

  I kind of went crazy with the ribbon but I couldn't help myself!  I used black chevrons and 1/8" taffeta for the top and then ruffled stretch trim and another piece of taffeta on the bottom.  I added a little Crushed Curry button to the corner and topped it with a rhinestone for a bit of sparkle.

  I hope you'll head over to Fab Friday and see what the other designers have with these colors.  Get inspired and then play along with us!

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Lots of Thanks

Ink: Black Stazon

Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black, Bermuda Bay, Crushed Curry, Strawberry Slush

Accessories: Hexagon Hive thinlet, Honeycomb e.f., Scallop Tag Topper punch, button, rhinestone, chevron ribbon, taffeta ribbon, ruffled stretch ribbon, dimensionals

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I've never been a super-fan of the hexagon shapes, but I'm flipping over this card! I love how you incorporated the colors in these bold shapes that create a solid band. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!