Saturday, August 5, 2023

Inspired by Step - Stampin' Up! Sentimental Park

   I was recently in Asheville, NC and visited the Asheville Art Museum and enjoyed a few hours taking in all kinds of art.  I'm always in awe of people who can paint and sculpt and carve and I'm so glad they share those talents with the world!  One of the paintings that caught my eye was Step by Kenneth Noland with its chevrons and rich colors.  I snapped a quick photo as I thought it might provide me with some stamping inspiration in the future.  The current CAS Colours & Sketches challenge popped up and I figured why not?


  The challenge shared 2 of the 3 painting colors so I went with it and did my version in card form.  I started with a Very Vanilla thick card base, then a layer of Very Vanilla.  I die cut 3 squares with the largest of the Stylish Shapes square dies and then cut out the centers with a smaller square die so I got the stitchd details on the inside and the outside of the frame.  I adhered each point getting smaller as I got to the Wild Wheat (if you know, you know!).

  I trimmed off the excess portions of the squares to make them chevrons then ran the whole panel through my die cutter using the retired Subtle embossing folder.  I love this texture and especially for this design it's almost like a canvas.

  The final bit is the sentiment from Sentimental Park stamp set stamped in Pecan Pie.  I wanted something very small and subtle in a clean font as anything else wouldn't have complemented the style.

  Here is my inspiration:

Step, 1965 - Kenneth Noland - Asheville Art Museum


  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Sentimental Park

Ink: Pecan Pie

Paper: Very Vanilla thick, Very Vanilla, Pecan Pie, Cajun Craze, Wild Wheat

Accessories: Stylish Shapes dies, Subtle embossing folder (retired)




3 comments:

  1. I love your design, Amanda - great idea to get inspiration from the art gallery. Using the embossing folder on the whole panel also gives a beautiful effect! Thanks for sharing your card with us at CC&S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the very bold focal image! Fantastic idea - beautiful! Thanks for joining us at CC&S

    ReplyDelete
  3. How COOL is this! Your inspiration is perfect for these challenging-to-me colors! I love this and I predict a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!